The saying “Ignorance is bliss” is probably not the best approach to determining if you need to offer COBRA. In fact, you could find yourself in a pile of fines, penalties and other financial exposure if you blatantly ignore your COBRA obligations.
Five Questions to Determine if you need to offer COBRA
- Are you offering a group health plan?
- Do you employ at least 20 employees?
- Is the plan sponsored by the federal government, a church or certain church-related entities?
- Is the employee currently enrolled in any group health plan?
- Was the individual affected by any qualifying events?
All of these questions and more are answered in the brief 90-second video above.